Sunday, September 27, 2009

Multiculturalism

The articles were a little overboard, however they were very interesting. The first article I read was “The Challenges of Multiculturalism.”  The author of this article, I felt like, had a problem with Blacks creating their own history that did not include White Americans. In addition, had a problem with African Americans teaching that history in the school system were the majority of the students were African Americans.

The second article, I read was “Pithissippi Burning.” I thought this article was the most comical. For example, any negative comment about Hillary Clinton qualifies as a “hate speech.” That statement proves that race is very much a touchy discussion. As well as, the color of your skin determines how far a comment will be taken out of content.

The last article, I read was “Why Multicultural is Wrong.” This was my favorite article because not only did the article ask a question, but also it provided direct and explicit answers. Multiculturalism can be a negative thing when you have single-minded people in charge making the decisions. For example, the article talked about a program in the Netherlands that basically teaches one language to multilingual individuals. This shows how important language is to cultures and countries.

As I reflected over all three articles, I can easily make a connection to my own experiences with diversity in the classroom. I have had many obstacles because of my race, however I don’t allow that to keep me from my dreams and goals. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that reality is reality and there is nothing I can do about it. As the saying goes, “It is what it is!”

1 comment:

  1. It is what it is. That's, unfortunately, true right now. I think you'll find the attitude in other parts of the country to be quite different. The south, in my view, is particularly intolerant and racist. The west coast has its share of problems, but white people don't dominate. There is a large Asian and hispanic population so the black and white issue isn't on the radar. Because their are so many people from all over the world living side by side, people learn, quickly, how to be tolerant and respectful.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete